[Mageia-dev] About dm

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Fri Feb 17 15:15:37 CET 2012

Le vendredi 17 février 2012 à 14:32 +0100, Oliver Burger a écrit :
> Am 17.02.2012 14:26, schrieb Païou:
> > It could be due to the fact that xdm, who is also automatically installed, does
> > not possess the property "dm"
> Well I don't think because kdm gets installed also, when gdm is
> installed, which does provide dm.
>
>  > See bug 4532.
> The question, why xdm does not provide dm I can't answer. Was there a
> technical reason or was it only forgotten?

Because no one never documented exactly what is needed to be providing
dm, or what it exactly mean.

Does it mean to be one of the choice of the prefdm service ?
Does it mean to be able to understand /etc/X11/wmsession.d/ ?
Ant others need to be seen as dm ? Where would it have impact, in
drakdm, somewhere ?

Without enough formalism in the interaction of rpms, this is just gonna
be a hack. People will add provides, will change stuff, without any
consistency, and curiously, that later cause issues.

--
Michael Scherer