[Mageia-dev] About dm

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Sat Feb 18 13:31:35 CET 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 03:50:45PM +0100, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
> The Gnome base is more than gnome-shell but less than Gnome in total.
> Example: Gnome config editor belongs to the basic Gnome, eog is a
> Gnome application. Same with KDE: kdm and the setup configuration are
> related to the environment, kmail is a KDE application.

GNOME is not the same as KDE.

Eye of GNOME is part of GNOME Core (things which should be installed
together):
  http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/core/3.3/3.3.5/sources/
As it is part of Core, anything in GNOME is ok to assume that it is
installed.

There is a separate "apps" section listed at:
  http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/apps/3.3/3.3.5/sources/
These consist of applications which closely follow GNOME. Meaning:
they're QA tested, etc.

Aside from the "apps" section, there are loads of other modules.
Everything in total is at:
  http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/
You see e.g. xchat-gnome. Something in /sources/, but not in "Core", nor
in "Apps". It doesn't follow the GNOME release schedule, translation
freezes, etc.

Regarding eog:
Anything wanting to call eog within GNOME should of course use
freedesktop.org specifications. So if you've installed something other
than eog, it should still work. Still, from upstream POV it is a
distribution bug if there wasn't any image viewer installed.

In practice, not installing everything by default should be more or less
ok. But that's not how things are released or assumed to be. It it just
by using freedesktop.org specifications that things still work.

But things still working doesn't mean that eog is not assumed to be
installed.

Anyway, I'm ok with discussing after Mageia 2 as suggested in another
email. I have no idea if "Core" + dependencies would fit on a cd anyway
(don't believe it would) + I can mention on
http://www.gnome.org/getting-gnome/ that Mageia 2 users should install
"task-gnome" to get the full experience.

--
Regards,
Olav