[Mageia-dev] xguest and the display manager

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Mon Feb 20 22:25:53 CET 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 05:49:49PM +0100, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
> 2012/2/20 Olav Vitters <olav at vitters.nl>:
> > I have the GNOME view on the world: why have distribution specific tools
> > if you can configure it from GNOME itself. That said, GNOME usually
> > focusses on the very basic options.
>
> Oh yes, We are GNOME, is there really a world besides?
> Most systems with this view of the world went down the drain :)

You mean like Microsoft Windows? :P

> Besides this more philosophical/historical view there is a technical
> background for my opinion, see my first point.

Yes, and I (as usual) disagree. You see GNOME as a desktop environment,
where it should not touch anything that might be part of the
distribution. I see a distribution as something which may or may not
provide a good GNOME experience. Whatever distribution I use (only use
Mageia on my pc; on my laptop I switch every so often), I don't care how
that distribution thinks I should keep my distro up to date. For that
there is packagekit, etc. All these differences between distributions to
do just basic things.. if you want to dive into details.. yeah, I love
e.g "urpmi", but stuff like ensuring the system is up to date, for that
I enjoy packagekit, networkmanager, etc.

--
Regards,
Olav