[Mageia-dev] Mageia 2 beta 1

Jeff Robins jeffrobinssae at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 19:59:01 CET 2012

On 02/23/2012 07:37 AM, Thierry Vignaud wrote:
> On 23 February 2012 12:00, zezinho <lists.jjorge at free.fr> wrote:
>>> How easy should the upgrade from Beta 1 -> Beta 2 -> RC -> Release be?
>>
>> It is not supported, the only upgrade path is MGA1->MGA2.
>
> But it should work.

I installed Mageia 2 Beta 1 on the computer from scratch.

I have had some problems so far:
1) I did the install from a flash drive using the x86_64 ISO.
   - I could not install any packages after installation
   - I finally figured out that I had to mount the flash ISO
      partition, but I don't think it was intuitive at first
   - Is there a way to detect installation from flash and let the
      user know that the ISO partition must be mounted?
   - I don't remember having to explicitly mount the DVD in th past
   - I never removed the flash after install, which is probably why I
      didn't think about it

2) The sound card section showed up twice on the page of other
      installation settings
   - Not sure what this page is called, but it lets you setup the
      network, video, proxy, etc
   - The second instance was directly after the first
   - I'm pretty sure I don't have 2 sound cards, but it is an
      integrated motherboard so I guess it's possible
      - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_CPU_on_Board/E35M1M_PRO/

3) I installed a second NIC in the machine and the eth0 and eth1 aliases
      keep sometimes switch between the two
   - I already saw a bug report about this, but it is really annoying

4) dhclient isn't run automatically.  I have to run it manually
   - Network Center is set for automatic IP and dhclient is set as the
      DHCP client

5) After installing the SSh Server I was unable to connect remotely
   - I had to add "SSHD: ALL" to /etc/hosts.allow
   - I set security to server when installing the distro

6) radeon-firmware Bug 1471
   - This has hit me on 3 of my 4 machines (Mageia 1 and Mageia 2 Beta
   - It was made worse by my inability to install ssh-server blindly
      - I tried to install it by switching to a terminal, logging in
         and using urpmi.  It didn't work because of (1)
      - (3) and (4) didn't help either
   - The work-around from the Errata didn't work because the firmware
      wasn't installed
      - installing the firmware automatically rebuilt the initrd