[Mageia-dev] Mageia 2 beta 1

Maarten Vanraes alien at rmail.be
Sat Feb 25 10:02:33 CET 2012

Op vrijdag 24 februari 2012 19:59:01 schreef Jeff Robins:
[...]
> 1) I did the install from a flash drive using the x86_64 ISO.
>    - I could not install any packages after installation
>    - I finally figured out that I had to mount the flash ISO
>       partition, but I don't think it was intuitive at first
>    - Is there a way to detect installation from flash and let the
>       user know that the ISO partition must be mounted?
>    - I don't remember having to explicitly mount the DVD in th past
>    - I never removed the flash after install, which is probably why I
>       didn't think about it

for cdrom media, it complains about mounting it, i guess it could do the same
for unmounted partitions/nonexistant mount flash points?

> 2) The sound card section showed up twice on the page of other
>       installation settings
>    - Not sure what this page is called, but it lets you setup the
>       network, video, proxy, etc
>    - The second instance was directly after the first
>    - I'm pretty sure I don't have 2 sound cards, but it is an
>       integrated motherboard so I guess it's possible
>       - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_CPU_on_Board/E35M1M_PRO/

you could've accidentally clicked on it twice? is this reproducable? after
install, check in /proc/snd/cards to see how many audio chips you have?

> 3) I installed a second NIC in the machine and the eth0 and eth1 aliases
>       keep sometimes switch between the two
>    - I already saw a bug report about this, but it is really annoying

that's definately an irritating bug, can you refer us to the bug report?

> 4) dhclient isn't run automatically.  I have to run it manually
>    - Network Center is set for automatic IP and dhclient is set as the
>       DHCP client

this is likely related to 3

> 5) After installing the SSh Server I was unable to connect remotely
>    - I had to add "SSHD: ALL" to /etc/hosts.allow
>    - I set security to server when installing the distro

that's a feature

> 6) radeon-firmware Bug 1471
>    - This has hit me on 3 of my 4 machines (Mageia 1 and Mageia 2 Beta
>    - It was made worse by my inability to install ssh-server blindly
>       - I tried to install it by switching to a terminal, logging in
>          and using urpmi.  It didn't work because of (1)
>       - (3) and (4) didn't help either
>    - The work-around from the Errata didn't work because the firmware
>       wasn't installed
>       - installing the firmware automatically rebuilt the initrd

there was a discussion about nonfree stuff in installation media, but i donno
what the conclusion was to that discussion.