[Mageia-dev] New dracut - please test

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Feb 25 11:59:39 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and David W. Hodgins at 25/02/12 07:35 did gyre and gimble:
> On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 06:42:01 -0500, Colin Guthrie
> <mageia at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
>
>> The other big change here is to automatically generate a much bigger
>> initramfs when doing an upgrade from mga1. This will include a lot more
>> stuff (e.g. lvm, raid etc) that may or may not be needed on a given
>> setup, but until you boot with dracut you cannot generate an initramfs
>> that will be able to detect only what is needed for boot.
>
> Looking at the current version of the init script, it's clear
> what the problem is ...
>
>     check_finished && break
>
>     udevsettle
>
>     check_finished && break
>
> The above statement will always be true on a single core
> system, so the following code never gets executed.

As I've said before, I really do not think this is anything to do with
number of cores. I do see that there is a chicken and egg problem, but
why would the number of cores affect this? Nothing runs in the
background here.

As stated earlier
(https://www.mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-dev/2012-February/011709.html),
the problem is simply that there are no calls to wait_for_dev for the
lvm drives and thus the whole initqueue stuff just glosses over things
and doesn't ever activate them.

What is different to the last time is that now for hostonly initrds (not
the one you generated), the wait_for_dev call WILL be added. I had hoped
this different approach would have fixed your problem.

However, due to me now doing this fallback non-hostonly initrd, the
original problem still manifests itself.

Can you test that generating a new initrd after booting via dracut (and
thus getting a hostonly one) does actually activate your usr partition?
I'm not 100% convinced there will not still be a problem with the
"resume" support and swap partitions, but it will hopefully give you a
smooth boot even if resume support is busted.

The non-hostonly problem does need a fix and I'll see what can be done.