[Mageia-dev] Removing Core 32bit from x86_64

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Sat Feb 25 14:20:09 CET 2012

Le samedi 25 février 2012 à 14:59 +0200, Sander Lepik a écrit :
> 25.02.2012 14:39, Michael Scherer kirjutas:
> > Le samedi 25 février 2012 à 14:04 +0200, Sander Lepik a écrit :
> >> 25.02.2012 13:47, zezinho kirjutas:

> >> No, as it's noarch it's available in 64-bit nonfree too, but it needs 32-bit core for libs
> >> that it uses.
> > Then, it should no be noarch.
> >
>  From the policy POV yeah, it shouldn't.
>
> From the usability POV.. well, it's our only option
> to make Skype available for 64-bit users.

Usability issues should not be fixed by bypassing policy. We do not move
software to wrong repository "because this is easier".

If people want a 32 bits binary from non-free, they need to activate it,
especially for a dubious one such as skype, that is forbidden ( and by
forbidden, I mean that it would disciplinary sanction ) in my last 2
jobs.

And if that's too complex, people can also ask to the developers to push
a 64 bits build. ( of course, since that's Microsoft, they will likely
do nothing, but that's the price to pay for being dependent of a
proprietary software )

So the package should be fixed, because currently, the deps are broken
( ie, the self containement rule is broken ), and that's IMHO enough for
warranting a removal of the package if no one step to correct that.
--
Michael Scherer