[Mageia-dev] Orphans - those poor orphans . . .

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 6 12:27:32 CET 2012

2012/1/6 Robert Fox <list at foxconsult.net>:
> After latest Cauldron updates, I got a real long list of suggested
> "orphans" - but I believe some of these packages are needed (like hal or
> basesystem-minimal) -
>
> How do I clear out the orphans - like reset the logic behind it so the
> correct packages will be orphaned?  Or is a fresh install in order??
>

> The following packages:
>  aisleriot-3.3.1-1.mga2.x86_64
>  alacarte-0.13.2-3.mga1.noarch
>  alsa-plugins-doc-1.0.24-5.mga2.noarch

This is a well known issue.
To clear out the list you need a deep knowledge of the system to
determine which packages are really not needed anymore.

Lately  this --auto-orphans line shreddered my whole system on a fresh
install after the first update, several system services could not
start at next reboot, applications did not run, etc. One of the very
few times I had to re-install because of a bug. Call me newbie or
pussy but until this is not a secure function I will never touch it
again.

--
wobo