[Mageia-dev] Orphans - those poor orphans . . .

Sander Lepik sander.lepik at eesti.ee
Fri Jan 6 18:55:39 CET 2012

06.01.2012 19:40, Johnny A. Solbu kirjutas:
> On Friday 06 January 2012 16:13, Thierry Vignaud wrote:
>>> The system has to be intelligent enough to know what is or is not an orphan.
>> It is.
> We claim that it is not.
Well, the system is ok. Just some packages are probably bogus and don't require all packages
they need.
> The end result is that many of us handle this feature like the plague; very carefully to avoid destruction.
> Many never use this feature, fearing it could destroy the system, prompting a reinstall.
Maybe at mdk9.1 it had problems. Tho' i'm not sure if urpmi even had that option at that
time. For me orphans are always worked. There is one thing that can cause problems - task
(meta) packages. For example if you remove task-kde4 then yes, you get a lot of kde packages
that are marked as orphans as task-kde4 pulled them in and is now uninstalled. But if some
package has requires on other package then this other package isn't marked as orphan.

--
Sander