[Mageia-dev] Seamonkey package

Florian Hubold doktor5000 at arcor.de
Sat Jan 7 18:36:41 CET 2012

Am 16.04.2011 16:05, schrieb Christiaan Welvaart:
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2011, Tux99 wrote:
>
>> I just downloaded the latest Seamonkey 2.0.12 SRPM from Mandriva cooker and
>> rebuilt it on my Mageia VM and it built flawlessly, I only had to remove
>> all the obsolete "%if %mdkversion" sections, but all dependecies are
>> available in Mageia.
>> So technically importing Seamonkey into Mageia seems straightforward, the
>> only issue is licensing (as for Firefox).
>>
>> Christiaan I'm a newbie packager here at Mageia so personally I'd much
>> prefer if you maintain this package for Mageia, it looks far too complex
>> for me. :)
>
> I uploaded "iceape 2.0.12" a few days ago, changing the name and icons/logo
> took me almost a month. Unfortunately there are still some bugs in this
> area:  the release notes menu item for example currently still points to
> seamonkey. It should probably point to a mageia wiki page.
>
> Since I don't like the icons that is used for debian's iceape, I created a
> new icon based on the logo. It looks like it can still be improved, however,
> and the throbber is currently static. So it would be great if someone could
> re-do the icon (without creating a completely new design), and animate it for
> the throbber (he SVG files are in iceape-branding.tar in the source rpm and
> svn)...
>

>     Christiaan

As iceape for mga1 hasn't seen any update in the last 6 months,
and there are multiple serious security issues that need fixing,
how do we handle this?

And i've found no real reason for this rebranding in the first place,
and this seems also be the case for Fedora, and they have a strong
legal department.
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=seamonkey.git

>From what i read on bugreports between debian packagers and
mozilla guys about that branding situation, the only thing that would
need to be done to seamonkey (actually the same would need to
be done for all our mozilla packages, unless we have permission
to use the branding, which would imply that all our modifications
on mozilla packages would need to be reviewed and ack-ed by mozilla
to get the branding permission) would be to use --disable-official-branding
configure option.