[Mageia-dev] RFT: xen support

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 10:49:39 CET 2012

Le 09/01/2012 10:26, Thierry Vignaud a écrit :
> On 11 April 2011 10:33, Thomas Backlund<tmb at iki.fi>  wrote:
>> And as of kernel-2.6.38.2-4.mga1 there has been some cleanups and addons for
>> xen:
>>
>> There is now a kernel-xen-pvops that also should work as dom0.
>>
>> Now this is mostly upstream kenel.org code so its not as fully
>> featured as the old kernel-xen. You can see the features listed here:
>> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps.
>>
>> There is one exception: our 2.6.38 kernel has xen-netback backend driver
>> added.
>>
>> So those of you that have been using xen, please test atleast the following:
>>
>> - check that kernel-server still works as a xen guest
>> - try to use kernel-xen-pvops as dom0 and see how it works
>> (you can also try to use kernel-xen-pvops as a normal xen guest)
>
> Doesn't that mean that when running in XEN, the installer shouldn't
> pick kernel-server
> instead of kernel-desktop? (since we've no dom0 support in the later)
> Or even kernel-xen-pvps if there's no HW support for virtualisation?
If 'running in Xen' means 'running as guest', you don't need any special
kernel for hardware virtualisation, and just a kernel with Xen support
for paravirtualisation. The dom0 support is only needed for the xen
host. Which means the installer kernel itself should have xen support to
be runnable in any context.

By the way, kernel-xen-pvops isn't needed anymore, and could be safely
dropped AFAIK.

--
BOFH excuse #24:

network packets travelling uphill (use a carrier pigeon)