[Mageia-dev] VirtualBox grief. Upgrading from MGA1 to Cauldron keep failing

Johnny A. Solbu cooker at solbu.net
Mon Jan 9 18:28:22 CET 2012

I have been trying for the last 15 hours to install Cauldron by upgrading from 1. I have cloned my mga1 VirtualBox install for this purpose.

I run this command: "urpmi -auto --auto-select --replacefiles"
For some reason it keeps loosing connection to the mirror server, and exit's with an error code. (curl exit's with 7, and wget with 4). most of the time I just restart the command (up-arrow key and Enter) and it continues, up to a point which is different from each time.
Sometimes it exit's saying something to the effect of "You probably want to update your database" (Translated).
I have cloned the install 3 times, because the failed upgrade results in an unusable system. Which looses it's abillity to use the network. Traceroute and firefox, for example, cannot use the network when the final point of failure occurs.

Now I'm trying to force it to download /all/ the packages it want to upgrade, using this command:
"urpmi --auto --auto-select --no-install --download-all --keep",
As expected, this also fails at some point, but I am able to continue downloading by running the command again. (I'm repeating the command separated by semicolons, which seems to save me a lot of babysitting. :-)=  ) But for some reason the same retrying fail if I do not ise the switches "--no-install --download-all".

And now I have a suspicion that VirtualBox (v3.1.8-3, MDV 2010.2) is to blame. At no point does the host computer loose any connections. Traceroute tests on the host to the same addresses that at the same time fails traceroute from the guest, works fine.

Have anyone else seen this happening?

--
Johnny A. Solbu
PGP key ID: 0xFA687324