[Mageia-dev] please stop doing "bugs" for updating magia 1

Juan Luis Baptiste juancho at mageia.org
Wed Jan 11 17:24:20 CET 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 3:43 AM, Florian Hubold <doktor5000 at arcor.de> wrote:
> Well, 2) and 3) are not valid reasons here, because backports should get
> a similar amount of QA testing as normal update candidates, and for
> the updates policy require a bugreport for validation through QA.

I think this is unrealistic in practice. For updates, QA will be
testing one bug fix,  with a backport you will have dozens or more new
features to test, you can't expect for QA to test all of them to be
able to give the OK, more if they even don't use the backported app in
a daily basis. Testing of a backport has to be more relaxed and
compromise to test some basic stuff like that it installs and starts
correctly, maybe the package maintainer can give some hints on what
else to test, but the rest we will have to trust in the maintainer's
judgement.

If you think that all version backports should be tested in the same
way as updates by QA, then all versions upgrades in cauldron should be
tested by QA before pushing them to the BS right ? why risk for a bug
on a program when updating to a new mga version and not when doing a
backport ?, it's exactly the same situation.

--
Juancho