[Mageia-dev] please stop doing "bugs" for updating magia 1

Buchan Milne bgmilne at zarb.org
Thu Jan 12 09:48:40 CET 2012

On Wednesday, 11 January 2012 22:10:01 Juan Luis Baptiste wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
> > Le mercredi 11 janvier 2012 à 11:24 -0500, Juan Luis Baptiste a écrit :
> >
> > So trusting and having bugs are totally unrelated. And if you doubt that
> > bugs appear, just see our bugzilla.
> > We trust upstream ( most of them ), and yet there is bugs.
>
> No, they're not totally unrelated when we don't have the man power to
> do through QA on every package, we need to trust on the packager (and
> upstream of course) that he did his best to test the new version
> without expecting him to have tested all the new features, Or do you
> expect that a QA member get a list of all the new features of a
> backport and start testing them one by one ? that's what I call
> unrealistic in practice.
>
> >> If you think that all version backports should be tested in the same
> >> way as updates by QA, then all versions upgrades in cauldron should be
> >> tested by QA before pushing them to the BS right ?
> >
> > No, they should be tested before being put in the stable release. And
> > that's exactly what we do by freezing and testing before release.
>
> Of course but again, we can't test *all* the new features of *all* the
> programs that are going to a new release, we do our best for most of
> them. Critical components like installer, kernel, drak* tools, etc
> need more testing and that's where (our very small team) QA should
> spend their time after a freeze. The rest we have to do our best to
> test after each version update of a package.

And this is IMHO why we should not necessarily enforce full QA on backports.

It is ridiculous to enforce more testing on a package in backports, than most
likely was done for it while in cauldron before a release, especially
considering the user has a relatively easy mechanism for reverting to the
working package.

If QA can state definitively that every package in a release is fully tested,
then I might agree.

But, some of the reason to *have* backports is to allow users on stable
releases to test new versions that exist in cauldron.

Regards,
Buchan