[Mageia-dev] Over-zealous rpmlint policy (rejecting rt)

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Jan 12 10:55:07 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and Buchan Milne at 12/01/12 09:12 did gyre and gimble:
> I don't see why we shouldn't ship dirs in /usr/local ...

I don't really see the point in shipping the dirs personally.

Any separate extension that is packaged should not go into /usr/local
anyway, so these folders are purely for users doing this manually.

I would expect that the "make install" stage of any extension
installation would automatically create those folders anyway, so I
really don't see the benefit of adding these empty folders into a
package. The gain in doing so seems minimal to the point of useless.

Of course if extensions do not have installer scripts then the user will
have to create those folders themselves, but if they are following a
manual recipe anyway, what's an extra mkdir during that process going to
cost them? Very little IMO.

Disclaimer: I have no experience of rt itself, so I could be missing
something contextual here.

Cheers!