[Mageia-dev] PHP + phpBB mod capabilities needed to fix bug 1956 - please help

Marja van Waes marja11 at xs4all.nl
Thu Jan 12 13:26:22 CET 2012

On 11/01/12 21:13, nicolas vigier wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2012, Marja van Waes wrote:
>
>> I can't talk for that minority, of course. However, I can talk for myself:
>>
>> In such circumstances it is very possible that I'd agree to do something to
>> later find out I can't concentrate on the task no matter how hard I try.
>>
>> I regret it wasn't decided that the people who wanted unlimited edit time
>> should make the MOD, after which the unlimited edit time would be
>> implemented. They were going to get what they wanted (the unlimited edit
>> time), wouldn't that have "given them wings" to do that MOD?
> I think unlimited edit time should be enabled, but there is no need for
> a MOD. Creating a MOD to keep history of post edits is not really trivial,
> and could be difficult to maintain in the future. If we really want this
> feature, it would probably be better to have it implemented in upstream
> phpbb before we use it.
>
> But the main problem is not edit time, I don't really care about edit
> time myself. The main problem is that there seems to be a majority of
> people who think it should be enabled, that there is no good reason to
> not do it, or at least try it for a few months (as was proposed several
> times by different people), but it is still not done, because someone
> decided it shouldn't be done. It could have been enabled in 2 minutes
> 8 months ago and we would have avoided those endless debates.

This issue is about a seeming majority of people wanting a certain
feature. It is not about a buggy forum. It is about an enhancement, that
isn't even an enhancement in everybody's eyes.

Maintainers of packages have the freedom to refuse to do an enhancement
request https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Bug_policy#Enhancement_requests
Maintainers can refuse regardless of what reason they have to refuse.

Why don't we give the maât the same right for the unlimited edit time
request?

Moreover, in article 18 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights it
says:
Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion.......
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Declaration_of_Human_Rights#Article_18

This article was of course written for all those cases when someone has
different thoughts, conscience and/or religion than we have.

It is evident from what maât wrote, that he is convinced the edit time
should stay very limited. Why do we ignore the universal declaration of
human rights and try to force him to do something that is against his
conscience?

Regards,
Marja