[Mageia-dev] please stop doing "bugs" for updating magia 1

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier+mageia at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 12 20:10:59 CET 2012

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 8:04 PM, Juan Luis Baptiste <juancho at mageia.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Christian Lohmaier
> <lohmaier+mageia at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 10:09 PM, Juan Luis Baptiste <juancho at mageia.org> wrote:
>>> [..]
>>> As I said, no one is talking about picking up a fix if there's a bug
>>> fix only release, it's for when it isn't and we need to reduce the
>>> chance of regressions by taking the modifications that *exactly* fix
>>> that bug.
>>
>> I strongly disagree. The policy is stating the exact opposite. And
>> also Michael seems to defend the policy as it is written, and not your
>> interpretation here.
>>

> No, I'm doing exactly as the policy says, patch current stable
> version.

But then you're *not* doing as the policy says, as policy says:
"same version of the package *released with the distribution*"
So whatever version that ended up in the initial release of the
distro. Not what is available upstream.

> The thing about bugfix only releases is something that it
> seems packagers have been doing implicitly as pterjan said before, and
> needs to be added to the policy.

Yes, but this then changes the policy drastically (for the better, so
please change it)

And when I write "whatever is against the policy" - I'm referring to
what is written in the wiki, not what people actually do.
If you don't care what is written, but do how you like, then there's
no point in having written policy, and even less reason to point
people to those policies to make them shut up/not ask questions.

ciao
Christian