[Mageia-dev] please stop doing "bugs" for updating magia 1

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier+mageia at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 12 21:25:51 CET 2012

Hi Florian,

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 8:42 PM, Florian Hubold <doktor5000 at arcor.de> wrote:
> Am 12.01.2012 19:01, schrieb Christian Lohmaier:
>>> [..]
> PS: Maybe next time you could improve on your wording, the policy may
> currently be incorrect, not reflecting good packaging practices, but as it's
> only a policy written by humans, it's not dumb. Just a hint. ;)

No, I disagree. The policy as written is dumb in my opinion. But that
doesn't mean I consider the people who edited the wiki to be dumb.
That is a huge difference in my opinion. If I tell someone "Ugh,
that's an ugly shirt you're wearing today" it is not the same as
telling the person "you are ugly" - but people on this list do get it
that way.

If you publish a policy, and the policy is incorrect, the whole
process of using policies is worthless. So I /have/ to assume that the
policy reflects the decisions/conclusions from the discussions by
people running the project.
To me it stays a silly/stupid policy. Whether you like the word or
not. It is not picking about typos or bad grammar or anything. It is
the fundamental approach reflected by the policy that I consider so
wrong that in my eyes it is stupid (and reason enough not to consider
officially packing stuff for Mageia).
I for myself prefer that people state what they really think, instead
of being sarcastic or trying to be smart in other ways (what point is
Johnny trying to make with his "hear, hear" for example?) . This just
doesn't work when you don't have other info than the text on your
screen (no facial expression, no tone of voice, ~no background
knowledge on the person making the statement).

It might be my lack of understanding the English language, but
"stupid" just is a regular word - it is not like I'd be using
something like "moth.*ker" here. Also my thesaurus only lists words
that I consider more harsh (like retarded, brainless,...).

So once again sorry if that did offend some people, feel free to
suggest (via pm, no need to continue this on the list) a wording that
still carries the same meaning, but is less "insulting".

ciao
Christian