[Mageia-dev] FireFox ESR <= we should totally go for this wrt stable releases

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Sun Jan 15 03:10:31 CET 2012

Luc Menut a écrit :
> Le 13/01/2012 02:22, D.Morgan a écrit :
>> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 2:20 AM, Maarten Vanraes<alien at rmail.be>  wrote:
>>> see
>>> https://blog.mozilla.com/blog/2012/01/10/delivering-a-mozilla-firefox-
>>> extended-support-release/
>>> see https://wiki.mozilla.org/images/9/9d/Esr-release-overview.png
>>>
>>> ESR is a 1y extended supported release...
>>>
>>> looking at the image we'd be having supported versions for our
>>> 9month release
>>> schedule every time... we should totally use this release and not go
>>> towards
>>> FF11 for our release.
>>>
>>> We've been complaining about the too quick release schedule... this
>>> is our
>>> chance!
>>>
>>> ( i think if the FF maintainer wishes, he could also do backports of
>>> the
>>> regular releases... )
>>>
>>> i'm hoping everyone agrees? including FF maintainer?
>>

>> seems we should stuck to FF 10 as default release for mageia2.
>>

> I don't have strong opinion about this choice.
>
> some various points that we should take into account:
> - I didn't find recent official announcement about ESR for other
> mozilla applications (Thunderbird, Seamonkey/Iceape, ...); I think
> that we should have consistent versions, at least for Firefox and
> Thunderbird.

I'm almost certain that Seamonkey, which is more conservative in
introducing new features than Firefox, will effectively have a long-term
release.
Thunderbird is generally more conservative than Seamonkey, on the email
side.

> - mozilla updates without security fixes are uncommon, so we will not
> reduce the number of update with ESR; the update will only have less
> changes, so less risk of regressions.

We probably will reduce the number of updates as well.  Before this
frenetic pace of a new version every 6 weeks, Firefox often went 2 or 3
months without an update, when there had been no bugs with security
implications.  I expect that the ESR version would likely follow the
same practice.
Even if not, in addition to less risk of regressions, no new features
should be easier to test.  (The same tests every time.)

--

André