[Mageia-dev] Too many tmp directories

Oliver Burger oliver.bgr at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 21 18:21:14 CET 2012

Hi,

while searching for some strange KDE behaviour (see bug 107 about
those icons), I found at least three different tmp directories:
/tmp/
/var/tmp/
~/tmp/ (one for every user)

Now I can understand the reason behind having the user's tmp
separately, but why do we have two system wide separate tmp
directories?
This get's even more complicated by the fact that there are symbolic
links in .kde4/ to both:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 oli oli   21 Okt  7 10:34 cache-beteigeuze.oli-home ->
/var/tmp/kdecache-oli/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 oli oli   16 Okt  7 10:34 socket-beteigeuze.oli-home ->
/tmp/ksocket-oli/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 oli oli   12 Okt  7 10:34 tmp-beteigeuze.oli-home -> /tmp/kde-oli/

Can't we do something about that?

Thanks, Oliver