[Mageia-dev] Too many tmp directories

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Jan 21 20:06:54 CET 2012

'Twas brillig, and eatdirt at 21/01/12 17:35 did gyre and gimble:
> On 21/01/12 18:21, Oliver Burger wrote:
>> I found at least three different tmp directories:
>> /tmp/
>> /var/tmp/
>> ~/tmp/ (one for every user)
>

> Hi,
> I am taking the opportunity of this thread to also mention the
> incredible number of shit mounted by systemd that completely render the
> output of a mount command unreadable :)
>
>> mount
>

> rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
> proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
> sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
> devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs
> (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=1018236k,nr_inodes=254559,mode=755)
> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts
> (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
> tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime)
> /dev/sda1 on / type ext4
> (rw,relatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered)
> /dev/sda7 on /usr type ext4
> (rw,relatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered)
> tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755)
> tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mode=755)
> cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,release_agent=/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd)
>
> cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset)
> cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuacct,cpu)
> cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)
> cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
> cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
> cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls type cgroup
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls)
> cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
> systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs
> (rw,relatime,fd=26,pgrp=1,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct)
> mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)
> hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime)
> debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
> securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,relatime)
> tmpfs on /media type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mode=755)
> /dev/sda8 on /opt type ext4
> (rw,relatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered)
> /dev/sda6 on /home type ext3
> (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,commit=5,barrier=1,data=ordered)
>
> fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)

What's wrong with this? It's showing you the mounts that are active...
would you rather it filtered out e.g. /sys etc?

There are other commands you can use other than mount... e.g. df

[colin at jimmy ~]$ df
Filesystem                                 Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs                                      15G   12G  2.1G  85% /
devtmpfs                                   1.6G     0  1.6G   0% /dev
tmpfs                                      1.6G  804K  1.6G   1% /dev/shm
/dev/mapper/solidstate-slash                15G   12G  2.1G  85% /
tmpfs                                      1.6G  3.2M  1.6G   1% /run
tmpfs                                      1.6G     0  1.6G   0%
/sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs                                      1.6G     0  1.6G   0% /media
/dev/mapper/solidstate-home                130G  128G  1.6G  99% /home
/dev/sda2                                   85M   47M   34M  59% /boot

Generally speaking df is a more useful command than mount IMO anyway,
and it's always been the command I use when I'm just wanting a quick
overview.