[Mageia-dev] size of iso dvds (unbloated installer stage 1)

Juergen Harms Juergen.Harms at unige.ch
Wed Jan 25 21:21:40 CET 2012

I just joined this list - therefore top-posting rather than replying.

Seeing the discussion on space on isos, I checked how much space
documentation files occupy on the alpha 3 iso: looks like there is quite
some potential for space saving. Some examples of bigger doc files

gawk-doc         0.9 Mb
lilo-doc         0.8 Mb
javadoc-1.6.0    11  Mb
javadoc-1.7.0    12  Mb
python-docs       4  Mb
qt4-doc         126  Mb
and so on

Some space can easily be gained by removing doc packages of low interest
(e.g. lilo, only one java version), much more could be gained by sorting
the doc according to some criteria (my suggestion: highest priority =
doc for non-advanced users who want to get a running out-of-the-box
system with basic doc; second priority = doc for advanced users/users
who do development and might have bandwidth problems; low priority:
things like kernel-doc which are normally used by people who anyhow have
made an effort to have bandwidth in support of fetching the code they
are working on, and who can easily fetch the doc packages from the core
repositories).

A more radical approach might be to simply create an additional "doc
dvd" - move all doc packages from the present iso there, with the
benefit to have lots of place for offering some of the more popuplar doc
packages on a dvd - which presently must be fetched from the repository
(probably attractive for users with bandwidth problems). That would
immediately free about 180 Mb of the alpha iso (and avoid - well,
postpone - the headache which programme packages can be kept on the iso,
and which not).

Juergen