[Mageia-dev] Mageia 3 feature proposals review

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Tue Jul 3 16:28:50 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 01:47:24PM +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Is that true? Is there any actual data on that or is it just what you've
> noticed over the years? If I'm a newbie, wouldn't I want to try all the
> options and see which is best for me? Do I decide that I like KDE better
> than GNOME or GNOME better then $whatever before I install to try it?
> Wouldn't it be more seasoned users that have already made their choice
> that will be more likely to pick only one. Genuine question - it's very
> hard to make these things non-subjective :D

I just want the thing to install. For changes, people should be able to
install more software once it is running. Furthermore, in GNOME the UI
simplifies (should:P) if less options are available (e.g. if only 1 user
exists on the system, don't show a switch user option; same for desktop
session, etc).

Yesterday I did an installation of Mageia 2 in a VM. At one point it
asks me if I want to install updates, then it asks me 2 times more (the
usual rpmdrake popups). IMO entirely unneeded. I already said it was
fine; just do it already. I noticed more options which to me should just
be done afterwards (e.g. you can even change which services are started;
I'd just handle that via Puppet).

--
Regards,
Olav