[Mageia-dev] Mageia 3 feature proposals review

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Wed Jul 4 18:58:14 CEST 2012

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012, Colin Guthrie wrote:

> 'Twas brillig, and nicolas vigier at 03/07/12 12:25 did gyre and gimble:
> > On Tue, 03 Jul 2012, Marcello wrote:
> >

> >> i've revised all my whish list. if you need more info, my ideas are these:
> >>
> >> https://wiki.mageia.org/en/CheckboxesToChooseDE
> >
> > "Use checkboxes to choose the DE so it is possible to install more than
> > one DE from a DVD edition, without using the custom package selection
> > that results far more complicated for newbies"
> >
> > newbies usually don't want to install more than one DE. And this would
> > make the DE selection screen more complicated for people who only want
> > one DE.
>
> Is that true? Is there any actual data on that or is it just what you've
> noticed over the years? If I'm a newbie, wouldn't I want to try all the
> options and see which is best for me? Do I decide that I like KDE better
> than GNOME or GNOME better then $whatever before I install to try it?
> Wouldn't it be more seasoned users that have already made their choice
> that will be more likely to pick only one. Genuine question - it's very
> hard to make these things non-subjective :D

It's not based on any actual data. But I think people who install both
DE is not the majority. The goal of this screen is to be as simple as
possible, but people who want less simple package selection can still
select "Custom" mode.

The screen currently looks like this :
http://doc.mageia.org/content/images/dx2-chooseDesktop.png

If we replace KDE and Gnome with check boxes, we still need the Custom
one to disable KDE and Gnome boxes. So I think it will make a more
complicate screen, for no clear benefits because it's already possible
to install more than one DE by selectiong custom mode.