[Mageia-dev] ANNOUNCE: The /usr move cometh! <---- Instructions

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Jul 22 13:26:10 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Olivier Thauvin at 22/07/12 12:12 did gyre and gimble:
> * Colin Guthrie (mageia at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:
>> 'Twas brillig, and Nicolas Lécureuil at 22/07/12 11:58 did gyre and gimble:
>>>
>>> filesystem rpm won't install anymore so you won't be able to update your
>>> cauldron anymore
>>

>> Yes exactly.
>>
>> This is a necessary step to continue using Cauldron really. It's also
>> something that will need to be done in the mga2 -> mga3 upgrade although
>> I will ensure that a nice packaged solution exits for users doing this
>> change so as to be a bit more user friendly.
>
> Then just do it now.

I'd rather not... all this update package would do is generate an initrd
and add a menu item that uses it and I'd rather concentrate with users
to run the steps manually for now.

> I have my laptop + 2 others VM under cauldron at work to be able to
> contribute to Mageia.
> I don't really have time for such migration, and don't want to if this
> can break by laptop then denying me to work.
>
> I'll wait to update my cauldron, no mather if I can't test anymore.

Yeah I appreciate that, but I'm not going to do this update package yet.
I'd rather wait and gather feedback first. All the update package would
do is the same as I'm asking you to do, so the "risk" of breakage is
identical in either case. I don't want to provide a package that
pretends to be any more "safe" than any other mechanism.

It's two very simple manual steps which I do not think is beyond the
skill set of anyone running cauldron, nor does it take much time.