[Mageia-dev] ANNOUNCE: The /usr move cometh! <---- Instructions

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Mon Jul 23 12:08:49 CEST 2012

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 13:04:30 +0300
Shlomi Fish <shlomif at iglu.org.il> wrote:

> > > BTW, I should note that right now after a few reboots, I am getting these
> > > symtoms:
> > >
> > > 1. I cannot run pm-suspend as user "shlomif", only as root.
> >
> > This might be to do with how you login. If you don't use a regular
> > display manager then there may be things that are not hooked up right.
> > Not sure.
>
> I am using kdm (cannot use "startx", though previously pm-suspend worked with
> startx).

Replying to myself, I'd like to note that I found a solution to problem #1 and
to problem #3 in these posts:

* https://listman.redhat.com/archives/pam-list/2001-December/msg00069.html

* http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/pam-authentification-failed-cannot-start-x-server-117935/

What I did was (as root):

# mkdir -p /var/lock/console
# touch /var/lock/console/shlomif (where "shlomif" is your user name).

This fixed this problem. Since /var/lock was misplaced due to the /usr move
transition, it was indeed caused by it.

I'll see if it also fixed problem No. 2.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish