[Mageia-dev] Failed to boot after /usr move

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jul 24 12:05:23 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Christiaan Welvaart at 24/07/12 10:51 did gyre and
gimble:
> On Tue, 24 Jul 2012, Olivier Thauvin wrote:
>
>> Can't the switch be done online a perl/python/c programme, eg once the
>> programme is loaded everything can be done. Or by providing static
>> binaries of mv/rm/ln ?
>
> There are of course 2 switches, /{lib,bin,bin,lib64} and /var/{run,lock}
> . AFAIK the latter can just be done "online" as long as all sockets can
> be moved. I'm not sure about the details of moving these special files,
> though.

It's generally not a good idea for system stability to move /var/run in
place to be honest. Lots of things use e.g. dbus for IPC and these will
likely just break badly.

Ultimately it's not the end of the world if you do the flip and do a
reboot, but all the same it's not ideal.

Also when changing them to symlinks it's important to ensure that
mandriva-clean-var-run-lock.service is disabled otherwise it will delete
the links again. I just did an "rm
/lib/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants/mandriva-clean-var-run-lock.service"
in the conversion script.