[Mageia-dev] Booting problems

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Wed Jul 25 14:47:41 CEST 2012

I'm seeing a very strange booting problem on just *one* of my cauldron
systems this morning.

The system was last booted successfully on Jul23, and I have purposely
not updated it because of the /usr stuff.

I verified in syslog that the only occurrences of "urpmi" from then
until now are the urpmi.update -a that the applet does every 3 hours, so
no updates have been applied via urpmi.

However, rebooting this morning hangs almost immediately with a message
on tty0:

     udevadm settle timeout (30 seconds)
     /sys/devices/virtual/tty/tty0
     Starting plymouth daemon

and there it sits.  It responds to CTRL-ALT-DEL and reboots immediately
(no shutdown messages).

Is anyone else seeing this ?  Any idea what could have changed ?

/var/log/dmesg is timestamped as of the Jul23 boot, and the latest thing
in /var/log/syslog is the shutdown messages just prior to the attempted
boot, so booting isn't getting very far at all.