[Mageia-dev] Video/X/GL/gnome-shell issues?

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Fri Jul 27 02:34:00 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 10:23:11PM +0200, Olivier Blin wrote:
> > I'm tempted to blame mesa to some degree, but no real evidence :)
>
> There was indeed a refcount fix
> (c3bc41011f9ffe648b7dd4915c6202b776cd1ab4) in mesa that I did not have in
> my snapshot.

I still have huge issues running GNOME shell in Cauldron.

Problems:
1. Cannot skip in mplayer (said to be glibc problem)
2. Sometimes when I use volume up/down keys, the popup window doesn't
disappear. After that, the volume keys don't work anymore. I can still
switch the volume using the volume icon in the top bar. I can click
through the popup window, but cannot see what is underneath it (really
annoying).
The volume key is handled by gnome-settings-daemon.
3. Switching between apps or workspaces using alt+tab, alt+~,
ctrl+alt+up/down makes GNOME shell hang. I'm currently avoiding
workspaces all together, because when I switch between workspaces, GNOME
shell can easily hang within 5 minutes.

Usually I can unfreeze X by stopping and starting "dm" (gdm). Sometimes
I have to reboot or shut the machine down completely (usually when the
plymouth/gdm background is garbled).

I've updated all the packages, running the latest kernel, latest
pulseaudio, etc. As driver, I use nouveau driver. I'm guessing glibc is
to blame, but not sure.

I'll try and use strace on GNOME shell + gnome-settings-daemon (volume
keys) next time one of them hangs again.

--
Regards,
Olav