[Mageia-dev] %_libexecdir - Re: [5228] revert some duplicated manbo stuff (all identical to default but

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Jul 27 16:12:12 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Thomas Backlund at 27/07/12 15:02 did gyre and gimble:
> 27.07.2012 16:55, Anssi Hannula skrev:
>> 26.07.2012 20:17, root at mageia.org kirjoitti:
>>> Revision
>>>     5228
>>> Author
>>>     tv
>>> Date
>>>     2012-07-26 19:17:41 +0200 (Thu, 26 Jul 2012)
>>>

>>>       Log Message
>>>
>>> revert some duplicated manbo stuff (all identical to default but
>>> %_libexecdir that changed to %_libdir when mga forked mdv)
>>

>> Hmm, I'm not sure I understand. AFAIK we have always (i.e. on Mageia and
>> on Mandriva before Mageia) had %_libexecdir as %_libdir.
>>

> Yep,
> see:
> http://svn.mandriva.com/viewvc/packages/updates/2010.1/rpm-manbo-setup/current/SOURCES/manbo.macros?view=markup
>

>> The change means that even 64-bit libexec binaries will be put into
>> /usr/lib, is that intentional?
>
> So this change should be reverted imho...

While I don't have a massively strong opinion on this topic, the only
reason we have lib vs lib64 is to avoid name conflicts. If we consider
libexec binaries as the kind of binary you'd only have installed once
(i.e. not something you need for each arch, then the libexec dir is
effectively "a private bin dir" and thus can be the same on both 32 and
64 bit IMO. So I guess I'd ultimately prefer /usr/lib/ to always be used
regardless of arch (i.e. one less difference between 32 and 64 bit builds).