[Mageia-dev] %_libexecdir - Re: [5228] revert some duplicated manbo stuff (all identical to default but

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Jul 27 18:05:20 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Thomas Backlund at 27/07/12 15:21 did gyre and gimble:
> 27.07.2012 17:16, Anssi Hannula skrev:
>> 27.07.2012 17:12, Colin Guthrie kirjoitti:
>>> 'Twas brillig, and Thomas Backlund at 27/07/12 15:02 did gyre and gimble:

>>> While I don't have a massively strong opinion on this topic, the only
>>> reason we have lib vs lib64 is to avoid name conflicts. If we consider
>>> libexec binaries as the kind of binary you'd only have installed once
>>> (i.e. not something you need for each arch, then the libexec dir is
>>> effectively "a private bin dir" and thus can be the same on both 32 and
>>> 64 bit IMO. So I guess I'd ultimately prefer /usr/lib/ to always be used
>>> regardless of arch (i.e. one less difference between 32 and 64 bit builds).
>>
>> +1 on one dir regardless of arch, however the question is if that should
>> be /usr/lib or /usr/libexec. On fedora it is the latter, and we seem to
>> have some stuff (plymouth ans some others) there also.

Well some packages override this e.g.:
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=systemd.git;a=blob;f=systemd.spec;hb=HEAD#l164

Maybe worth asking Kay about that in #systemd to see if there is an
argument against using /usr/libexec more generally?

> In that case, I'd say /usr/libexec to keep /usr/lib as arch clean as
> possible...

Assuming we're not missing something, yes, I agree.

> And I guess we will catch any name conflicts when we start full rebuild...
>
> speaking of that btw... anything missing for that, or should we plan &
> start the full rebuild... ?

I think all the things I wanted to do before the rebuild are in place so
I'm certainly fine with it.