[Mageia-dev] %_libexecdir - Re: [5228] revert some duplicated manbo stuff (all identical to default but

Thierry Vignaud thierry.vignaud at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 16:42:00 CEST 2012

On 31 July 2012 16:32, Olivier Blin <mageia at blino.org> wrote:
>>> The question is: should we enable minidebuginfo by default?
>>> This adds 1-3% to each package but it makes us have usefufull traces by default
>>> (at least with function names)
>>> Not as good as having debug packages installed by default, but still better.
>>> This is enabled in FC18.
>>>
>>> Do we enable this?
>>
>> Correction: like FC, we only keep compressed symbol list, not line numbers.
>> So overhead is 0.5% for the whole /usr according to RH.
>>
>> My own tests:
>> - perl-URPM: 0.7%
>> - rpm: 0.01%
>> - glib2.0: 0.9%
>> - perl: 0.6%
>> - perl-Gtk2: 1.4%
>
> This minidebuginfo is embedded in the binaries and thus in the main
> (non-debug) packages, right?

indeed.

> What's the estimated overhead for our live CDs?

as those sections are already compressed, I would say the overhead
would be slight bigger,
maybe 1% instead of 0.5%

I suggests we go with it.
If it proves too big, we can disable it globally and enable it on a
per package case
(eg: glibc/rpm/perl-URPM/perl/glib/gtk/pango/cairo/libx11/perl-Gtk2/perl-Glib/kde*)