[Mageia-dev] GNOME plans

Kira elegant.pegasus at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 15:13:53 CEST 2012

在 Mon, 04 Jun 2012 20:46:08 +0800, Olav Vitters <olav at vitters.nl>寫道:
> GNOME seems to go to iBus.
>
> If GNOME chooses something, then of course it'll be that way in Mageia,
> unless work is done. And I'm not a developer, nor the best maintainer..
>
> I'm involved in upstream, so can change direction.
Thanks for your reply.

> I've seen a lot of feedback on desktop-devel-list at gnome.org regarding
> iBus, but the feedback was often focussed on YYY or ZZZ software instead
> of describing what functionality is needed. I haven't followed the
> latest discussion though.
>
> If you don't like iBus, find the desktop-devel-list at gnome.org thread
> (can give pointers if needed), answer the questions that the developers
> have about what you think iBus should do (that it currently does not)
> and give priorities (e.g. cannot use iBus if it doesn't do X, cumbersome
> if doesn't do Y, etc).

Well, I think the main point of arguing about this issue is that most
people

is mostly used to other input method and they don't care about iBus...

Still 2 points to be answered especially for Mageia here:

1. In MCC, we can set up the input method in localedrake, and this

setting would be system-wide except GNOME about 3.6+. This should be
mentioned,

because it would destroy the unified user experience.

2. For users who want other input method, is there a easy way to do it?

I must remind here: I think most developer in GNOME don't really know the

pain for our CJK user here. Whether iBus or other input method all don't
meet

the completeness that most people need. iBus continuously lost the word
typed,

Hime/GCIN, and others more don't have easy way to add up other input
module, and

scim/oxim... and more are even out of maintenance.

The main point of issue is that we hope to have the freedom and have the
input method

that fit each other's need( There's at least 10+ input modules exist), and
the way

GNOME implement the unified input method had very bad impression for us.

You guys do a good job, but the decision of easily bundle up a single
input method

is really a bad idea, because not all people want to contribute to iBus
project, and

they already have effort on other input methods.