[Mageia-dev] GNOME plans

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Mon Jun 4 21:08:31 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jun 04, 2012 at 09:49:52PM +0300, Thomas Backlund wrote:
> 04.06.2012 20:32, Olav Vitters skrev:
> > On Mon, Jun 04, 2012 at 05:51:11PM +0200, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
>

> > - Please change your wording. You have zero say in what goes on at
> >   gnome.org, nor about me. If you start by telling me what I must and
> >   must not do, it is better to not respond.
>
> Neither can gnome.org dictate what distros do, only suggest.

I'm very well aware, which is why I don't use must. It is a very long
process, not going to change any time soon. Again, this started out with
me saying "I prefer"... a minor note about my thoughts. Don't think that
any of my messages as something I don't intend e.g. as if they are
instructions on what Mageia should so.

> > - I clearly stated freedesktop.org standards
>
> Yes, standards is good as long as they actully are followed,
> wich is not always the case, but this is getting better...
>
> > - Maybe to clarify my point: When using GNOME, there should not be any
> >   need to resort to a distro specific configuration tool. E.g. xorg
> >   should be setup automatically, not require any distro assistance. It
> >   is long term and difficult.
>
> Well, the power and usability of DE agnostic control center is _way_
> better than what the DE integrated ones can offer for systemwide settings.

Power I fully agree with.

> Think of giving support: Instead of having first having to ask for what
> DE, and then have to to tell the user the DE-specific way of changing
> it, support can simply say open mcc, do this, then that, then...
> and you are done.

Depends on who is giving the support.

> But yes, integration between tools, and getting more stuff to
> work automatically is WIP, not something that changes over night.

Indeed.

> Not to mention pretty much every review out there lists mcc as one
> of the strong points, so it's also clear that endusers want it...

To be clear: I think MCC is great. But I also use Fedora sometimes. And
sometimes Ubuntu. I highly prefer Mageia. I find it sad that something
like MCC is distro specific. Other distributions have tools with their
own advantages. I prefer if such tools are shared across distributions,
just like most software is available between distributions. Possibly
with some slight patches (like a lot of software), but that's it.

Practically, probably not going to change any time soon, but I hope it
does.. nothing more.

--
Regards,
Olav