[Mageia-dev] GNOME plans

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jun 5 17:04:21 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Wolfgang Bornath at 04/06/12 16:51 did gyre and gimble:

>> > As said, I don't code. And unified experience I care for GNOME, that it
>> > works consistently. I care about freedesktop.org standards. I don't care
>> > for differences between distributions. E.g. MCC is great, but I prefer
>> > if it didn't exist. MCC is only Mageia/Mandriva, another distro has
>> > other things, etc.
>> > I prefer something in gnome-control-center.
> And here we have the main point, the difference between Gnome and
> everybody else.
>
> Gnome is a mere desktop environment, nothing more and nothing less. Period.

You've maybe not been following the Gnome OS stuff then? I have and it's
very interesting. As you know I've been a KDE developer for many years,
but I much prefer the Gnome approach to lower level things. People
involved in the Gnome project are very supportive to drive forward the
core underlying plumbing layers rather than just build abstraction
layers on top to rationalise the underlying insanity. I certainly have
much more affinity to this approach to engineering (as you can likely
tell when I share my opinions on stuff) than the KDE approach which does
quite often paper over the cracks rather than solve the underlying problems.

So I don't disagree with you with regards to how we, as a distro, should
treat Gnome, but do keep in mind that "Gnome OS" as a whole is something
we will all benefit from - this covers everything from how early boot
should deal with user interaction and encryption passwords etc (i.e.
plymouth) right up to GDM and X11 initialisation (including how to
handle things when it fails) and thus the desktop environment "Gnome"
will come with certain requirements for the underlying system on which
it runs. In most (if not all) cases, these requirements will be for the
general good anyway.