[Mageia-dev] Mageia 3 specifications

AL13N alien at rmail.be
Wed Jun 6 08:22:54 CEST 2012

Op woensdag 6 juni 2012 01:04:05 schreef JA Magallón:
> On 06/05/2012 11:41 PM, Olav Vitters wrote:
> >>
> >> Approximatively 50% of those problems come from the coexistence with
> >> drakxtools and sysinit, conflicting for the control of the
> >> interface, rather than actual problems in NM code. Waiting for them
> >> to magically disapear won't help much...
> >
> > Ah ok, but shouldn't that all be fixed now that the patch is back to
> > make NetworkManager properly ignore stuff that it should ignore?
>
> I tink it is _lot_ easier even for drakxtools to write a file into
> /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections that to mess with ifcfg-* files.
>
> And NM is the only sane way to have, in my case, 4 or 5 WiFi configurations
> for the same interface and let it pick the right one depending on my
> location. It is just marvelous, and without any ifcfg-* file rewriting
> on the fly.
>
> And I suppose it can also be done, but I never managed to do without NM:
> let my linux in the far corner of the house boot and connect to wifi
> without any user logged in...
>
> So in my case, a big +1 for NM and kill all sysvinit files for network.
>
> I acknowledge that I never tried to do bonding with NM, for example...
[...]

i need bonding and bridging and vlans, but what about AoE, or even STP in
bridging.

next to wifi, what about vpns?

for NM to replace initscripts/drakxtools/mganetapplet it not only needs to do
all that, but have for KDE and Gnome AND other DE's a way to graphically do
all that, that's preferably the same.

i guess this ties in the fact that imho gnome tries to do too much. maybe it
would be better to have a single graphic UI that can handle NM no matter the
DE.

in any case, imho it's too soon for us to drop drakxtools/mganetapplet/if-cfg*
(if ever).

let's retalk about this for mga4.