[Mageia-dev] Backports policy clarification (and discussion)

David W. Hodgins davidwhodgins at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 20:20:54 CEST 2012

On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 10:22:41 -0400, Samuel Verschelde <stormi at laposte.net> wrote:

> I think you missed my point. If Mageia 1 "backports" has higher versions than
> Mageia 2 "release" (not backports), upgrade can fail because currently our
> tools do not take backports from the target release (mageia 2) into account
> when upgrading a distro.

In the upgrade from Mandriva 2010.2 to Mageia 1, it was made clear, that
upgrading from a system with 2010.2 Backports was not supported.  It may
work, but was not recommended.

I think we should keep the same policy for the upgrade from Mageia 1 to 2.
I.E.  Don't use backports if you are planning on later doing an upgrade,
rather then a clean install.

That way, Mageia 1 users who want firefox 13 can get it, without us having
to replace the Mageia 2 iso images with an upgraded installer, that will
keep backports enabled for 2, if it was enabled for 1.

Regards, Dave Hodgins