[Mageia-dev] Proposed Feature:Backports_update_applet

blind Pete 0123peter at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 04:41:34 CEST 2012

Samuel Verschelde wrote:

> Following Backports opening due soon, and since our policy is that
> backports are supported (security, bugfix), we need a way to push backport
> updates for users who installed backports. Otherwise, we can't really say
> that we're providing security updates to our backports.
>
> My feature proposal is to implement something similar to what mgaonline +
> MageiaUpdate does for updates, but for backports, with some changes due to
> the fact that users will rarely want that "all" packages on the system be
> updated from backports when the backports media are activated.
>
> https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Feature:Backports_update_applet
>
> I don't think I can do the dev myself. I can work on more detailed
> specifications with a developer though.
>
> Samuel

There are a multiple ways that this problem could be handled.
Yours is one.

Samuel's way:

Need "something" to know that a backport package
has been installed, to remember that fact, and to do an extra
backport update search when looking for updates.

It would need to keep working if the user changed desktop
environments, or even stopped used a desktop and just used
the command line.  Does mgaonline do this?  There could be
room to improve that.

If it can be detected that a backport package has been installed
(or less efficiently, detect that a backports repository
has been activated) set up a cron job (or reconfigure mgaonline)
and leave it like that for the life of the installation.

Geeks way:

Only use urpmi as a command line tool and edit urpmi.cfg with vi.

When activating a backports repository mark it as an update
repository.  Then update with "urpmi --excludemedia [backport media, ...]"
accepting all suggestions, followed by "urpmi --auto-select"
and look at what is offered before accepting.

My suggestion:

Add "bp" to the package name and have separate backports update
repositories.

Users would then be able to cherry pick from backports and
updates should _just work_ without extra intervention.

The only difficulty that I can think of is, when a backport
(or backport update) package is pushed to updates.  It would
not be necessary to do a real update but the rpm database
should be updated such that version N-bp supersedes version N.
(And the N-bp packages should be removed from the repositories.)

Can anyone see any holes in the logic?

What would be easiest to implement?

--
blind Pete