[Mageia-dev] Backports policy clarification (and discussion)

blind Pete 0123peter at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 08:25:30 CEST 2012

andre999 wrote:

> blind Pete a écrit :
>> Samuel Verschelde wrote:

> Current tools will correctly update backports much of the time.  (From
> my experience.)
> The tools just need to be reworked somewhat to ensure that backports are
> updated correctly all of the time.

>>> Again, this is not the policy we adopted. When we defined the backports
>>> policy (together, although it seems most people are just discovering it
>>> now) we said that we didn't want to have backports that don't work,
>>> break a system, or prevent upgrade.
>>>
>>> However, I think that for DVD upgrade without internet access this is a
>>> sensible option. But the upgrader should detect the situation itself,
>>> not hope that the user will read somewhere in the release notes that
>>> it's not supported.
>>>
>> No, just include Cauldron's backport repositories (disabled by default)
>> inside the DVD iso.  Upgrade to the release version, if possible.
>> If that is not possible, upgrade to the version in backports.
>
> Cauldron's backport repos will always be empty.
> If you introduce a new package, or a new version of an existing package
> to Cauldron, it is not, by definition, a backport.  Even though the same
> version (not counting the revision) may be a backport for previous
> releases.

By definition you are completely correct, but I was deliberatly
bending the definition to cover beta software.  Or at least to
draw a distinction between an Extended Support Release package
and a standard package.  A new name would make sense here.

> So if we do a release update to the latest release, backports will be
> replaced by regular packages except in those cases where a newer version
> has been introduced into Cauldron.  And if we update to Cauldron, all
> backports will be replaced by regular packages -- according to our
> backport policy.
[snip]

Some packages annoyingly have two current versions.  When that
happens it seems perfectly reasonable to just pick one, but if
anyone is ambitious enough to try two at once, this would be a
mechanism to handle it.

--
blind Pete
Sig goes here...