[Mageia-dev] Proposed Feature:UiAbstraction4mcc

Steven Tucker tuxta2 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 15:20:07 CEST 2012

On 13/06/12 22:53, Angelo Naselli wrote:
> mercoledì 13 giugno 2012 alle 13:59, Steven Tucker ha scritto:
>> MCC is great, and I would love to be able to admin using it regardless
>> of whether I am using text interface or gtk/qt. The interface is
>> completely different in curses than gtk interfaces. Curses version is a
>> second rate citizen, and Gui is all GTK. A lot of the tools are not
>> available in curses interface, for instance, I don't see a way to
>> install software or managing repositories. It would be nice to have qt
>> version as well as gtk (not a major issue, but would be nice)
>>
> Well a proposal[1] to work on it -porting to qt- is already added by me,
> I'm not a perl programmer so it's hard for me to do the most, but i'm
> trying to get helped by other people (i got one positive answer at the
> moment)...
> I'm open to discuss :)
>
> [1] https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Feature:DrakXtoolsReview
Okay, Ill join in the conversation tomorrow after a good sleep.
In short however, the beauty of using libYui is that qt/gtk/curses are
supported by all modules implicitly.
Also libYui is actively developed and maintained by attachmate/opensuse,
and has been ported to fedora, ubuntu, debian and Gentoo. The biggest
issues people seem to have is lack of resources to build and maintain,
well using this method we offload half of the development effort (Ui
layer already developed, tested and maintained). Collaboration with
other major distro's increases the developer pool and reduces the
maintenance load.

You are not a perl developeer, what do you code in? libYui is in C++
with bindings for perl, python and ruby that I know of.

Anyway, chat soon, would love to keep the discussion going.