[Mageia-dev] unpackaged files lurking in the weeds

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Jun 15 10:53:52 CEST 2012

'Twas brillig, and David Walser at 15/06/12 01:42 did gyre and gimble:
> So, maybe we should do something about this.  My preference would
> have rpm still complain about unpackaged %excluded files, but not
> die, just give a warning instead.

Personally, I don't see the point in using %exclude to exclude files
completely from all sub packages. We can just use "rm" in the the
%install section for that (we typically already do that to remove *.la
files for example).

So for me %exclude should only operate on subpackage file list and
should only be useful to undo any wildcard inclusions:

e.g.
%files
%{_libdir}/foo/*
%exclude %{_libdir}/foo/something-in-another-sub-package

%files -n sub
%{_libdir}/foo/something-in-another-sub-package

That kind of thing.

That, to me, seems most logical. I'm not sure what the upstream
behaviour is, but I would agree that we should follow it all the same
even if the goal would be to push for upstream changes when needed.

Cheers