[Mageia-dev] Backports policy clarification (and discussion)

blind Pete 0123peter at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 08:27:34 CEST 2012

andre999 wrote:

> blind Pete a écrit :
>> andre999 wrote:

>>> Current tools will correctly update backports much of the time.  (From
>>> my experience.)
>>> The tools just need to be reworked somewhat to ensure that backports are
>>> updated correctly all of the time.

>>> Cauldron's backport repos will always be empty.
>>> If you introduce a new package, or a new version of an existing package
>>> to Cauldron, it is not, by definition, a backport.  Even though the same
>>> version (not counting the revision) may be a backport for previous
>>> releases.
>>>
>> By definition you are completely correct, but I was deliberatly
>> bending the definition to cover beta software.  Or at least to
>> draw a distinction between an Extended Support Release package
>> and a standard package.  A new name would make sense here.
>
> They would have different names (if generally only the version included
> in one).
> Since a backport can only have one name, it would correspond to only one
> of the packages.  Presumably that with the same (or closest) version.
>
>>> So if we do a release update to the latest release, backports will be
>>> replaced by regular packages except in those cases where a newer version
>>> has been introduced into Cauldron.  And if we update to Cauldron, all
>>> backports will be replaced by regular packages -- according to our
>>> backport policy.
>>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> Some packages annoyingly have two current versions.  When that
>> happens it seems perfectly reasonable to just pick one, but if
>> anyone is ambitious enough to try two at once, this would be a
>> mechanism to handle it.
>
> Don't see how backport repos are related.
> To be installed simultaneously, they would have to install to different
> locations, which is generally not the case.  There is more than one
> version of Postgresql available, for example, but they conflict and so
> can't be installed at the same time.

Not installed simultaneously, but exist simultaneously.
Firefox and Chromium-browser are the bad examples that spring to mind.

$urpmq -Y chromium-browser- | sort | uniq
chromium-browser
chromium-browser-beta
chromium-browser-stable
chromium-browser-unstable
$urpmq -ia chromium-browser- | grep Version | sort | uniq
    $MIRRORLIST: media/core/updates/media_info/20120610-144059-info.xml.lzma
Version     : 12.0.742.53
Version     : 13.0.761.0
Version     : 18.0.1025.168
$