[Mageia-dev] gstreamer0.10-faac - package request

Philippe DIDIER philippedidier at laposte.net
Sun Jun 17 11:56:07 CEST 2012

Rémi Verschelde a écrit :
> 2012/6/17 Simple w <simplew8 at gmail.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been running arist-gtk to encode video and almost all presets
>> fail because it needs gstreamer-faac, please see the output:
>>
>> ]$ arista-gtk
>>
>> ** (process:3757): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype
>> 'GMountMountFlags' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'
>>
>> ** (process:3757): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype
>> 'GDriveStartFlags' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'
>>
>> ** (process:3757): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype
>> 'GSocketMsgFlags' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'
>> ** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (GstObject)
>> arista.presets [435]: INFO Attempting to install elements: faac
>> ** Message: PackageKit: xid = 0
>> ** Message: PackageKit: Codec nice name: Elemento "faac" do GStreamer
>> ** Message: PackageKit: structure: gstreamer0.10(element-faac)()(64bit)
>> ** Message: PackageKit: Did not install codec: Message did not receive
>> a reply (timeout by message bus)
>> arista.presets [444]: ERROR Unable to install required elements!
>>
>> Found only 1 preset working so far in arista, seams it uses
>> gstreamer-faac in almost all presets...
>
> Did you install gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad ?

It is an old problem :

faac libfaac and libfaac-devel are not provided by Mageia ...
They should be in tainted but contain a part of code that is not
strictly GPL :
everything is GPL but there's a 1997 copyright for
a little part of the initial ISO MPEG4 reference code of FAAC

so no faac and no rpm build with faac for vlc gstreamer ffmpeg
libquicktime, no handbrake no cinerrela etc...

There was a discuss in september 21 2011 about creating a repo
"nonfree-tainted" for faac and faac built rpms... but it was decided to wait

see bug 1730

search for all bugs in bugzilla with the word faac

What to do to obtain that Mageia provide faac so we are able to create
mp4 files that are standard now for internet!
(Debian, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu, Mandriva etc... provide faac and faac
built versions of VLC ffmpeg mencoder cinerella handbrake etc...)