[Mageia-dev] gstreamer0.10-faac - package request

blind Pete 0123peter at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 09:10:34 CEST 2012

Colin Guthrie wrote:

> 'Twas brillig, and Simple w at 18/06/12 10:52 did gyre and gimble:
>> 2012/6/17 Simple w <simplew8 at gmail.com>:
>>> 2012/6/17 Rémi Verschelde
>>> <remi at verschelde.fr>:

[snip]

>>> Yes
>>
>> Packages like:
>>
>> faac
>> amrwb
>>
>> couldnt exist in non-free repository?
>>
>> I see that these packages for example in Fedora they exist in Rpm
>> Fusion http://rpmfusion.org/
>> Seams to be a repository for packages with license "issues".
>>
>> Can this be reviewed in Mageia?
>> Currently users are limited to handle video codifications and they
>> dont have any option to install faac and amrwb.
>
> As mentioned in the previous email, this particular bit of software has
> both license issues *and* patent issues in some countries.
>
> It's the combination of these two things that make things awkward for us
> as we have:
>  non-free (for software with license issues)
> and
>  tainted (for software with patent issues).
>
> To ship this package we would need yet another repository:
>  non-free+tainted
>
> And this is the general dilemma. Too many media sources are confusing to
> users. But clean separation is important for users who live in certain
> jurisdictions (and also potentially for mirror servers in certain
> jurisdictions who may not be able to carry tainted, but can carry
> non-free)
>
> Hope that explains the issue. It would be nice to solve it, but I'm not
> sure how without another media than that's a pain to support cleanly.
>
> Col

Real life is confusing.  :-(

Hide the messy bit.  They can edit urpmi.cfg if they want to.

The user interface should just ask simple questions; like,
"Do you want to avoid non-free software?",
"Do you want to avoid possibly patented software?",
"Do you want to avoid backported software?",
"Do you want to avoid software not approve by QA yet?", and
"Do you want to avoid software that gives debug messages?".
Where each of those questions applies to half of the repositories.

I am assuming automatic answers to the unasked questions about
updates and about 64 bit versus 32 bit.  Each of which also
applies to half of the repositories.

Five answers handle 128 repositories.

If you assume that only advance users will want to know about
backports, testing and debug then you only have to ask TWO
questions.  Maybe three; non-free, tainted, advanced?

This should be posted somewhere else, I just don't know where.