[Mageia-dev] bug 2317 revisited: --update option should behave like --search-media

Sander Lepik sander.lepik at eesti.ee
Thu Jun 21 13:38:45 CEST 2012

21.06.2012 14:30, Maarten Vanraes kirjutas:
> IF the update cannot work with the backported new dependency, it should be
> strict required in the update. in that case, the one from release will be
> used.
>
> if the update does work with the backport, then i don't see why you
> wouldn't want that, since you enabled backports.
> ==> this sounds like cherry-picking backports.
>
> in other words, you're advanced enough to find out what you want, because
> i don't think we can support all forms of cherry-picking backports.
Well, AFAIK there is still no stance on backports policy (are we backporting from cauldron
(n) to n-2 or not - if we do, we break upgradability here!). Cherry-picking backports is
needed. And i don't think that the packager who is creating update should check all possible
backports. What if that backport comes into play later? When the update is already released?
I still think that backports should not be used during updates. And it doesn't make QA work
any easier here. This is what we are trying to achieve.

--
Sander