[Mageia-dev] Remove upgrade functionnality in installer

David Walser luigiwalser at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 23 20:31:26 CEST 2012

Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Anne Nicolas at 23/06/12 12:50 did gyre and gimble:
>> Hi there
>>
>> I'd like to propose this one:
>> https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Feature:RemoveUpgradeInstaller
>
> Hmm, I wonder if it should be fully removed, or whether it should just
> require that an internet connection is present such that anything not
> present on the media can be downloaded as needed. This could be a good
> compromise?

Indeed.  I remember discussion when the mga2 release was being prepared of removing upgrade capability from the CD/DVD, because that can be
problematic when not all of the packages are available.  I don't remember anyone proposing removing upgrade capability from DrakX altogether,
and we should absolutely *NOT* do that, that would be terrible!  Doing upgrades with urpmi is fine in some cases, but in others it's
better/easier/more reliable to just take the machine down and do it with the installer.  Using a HDD or net install from a local repository,
all packages are available and there are no problems, this has always worked well for several years.  Doing it with urpmi hasn't always worked
as well (usually has been fine for servers with minimal packages installed, but desktops with more stuff has been problematic at times).