[Mageia-dev] Remove upgrade functionnality in installer

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Mon Jun 25 00:36:19 CEST 2012

Anne nicolas a écrit :
> 2012/6/24 David Walser<luigiwalser at yahoo.com>:
>
>> Johnny A. Solbu wrote:

>>> In all the years I have been running Mandrake, Mandriva and now Mageia, the upgrade packages function in the installer has not worked once
>>>
>> for me, that I can remember. So I always skip it.
>>
>>> I believe many others do the same.
>>>
>> Is that what the "feature request" is talking about?  If so, it's totally not clear.  It sounded to me like it was talking about the ability
>> for the installer to upgrade an existing system.  If it's just talking about that "install updates" thing at the end of the installation,
>> that's never worked for me either in the few times I've tried it.  It's also pretty unnecessary for me since I usually install from HDD or net,
>> which uses updates in the first place.
>>
> Indeed  I'm not speaking about updating packages at the end of the
> installation but using a DVD to upgrade an already installed system

But using a DVD to upgrade an already installed system is a good way to
get around the fact that many packages, including nonfree firmware, are
missing from the DVD.
If one does a clean install, one has to try to find a lot of missing
packages, because they are no longer installed.  This impacts
considerably the usability of the system.  (Considering what the user
had installed.)
All one has to do after the upgrade install, is reboot and do a normal
upgrade with rpmdrake (selecting "all updates" and "all packages"), and
almost everything works well.
(For me upgrade to mga1 worked perfectly.  The last 2 upgrades with mdv
had some problems, due to other factors.  A clean install has always
caused me a lot of problems.)
With a clean install, it can be problematic to find all the missing
packages, as well as missing firmware.

Note that I don't use mgaapplet after an upgrade install, since it
doesn't give me all the information I want, to help me decide if I
should drop some packages that were installed.
It may be that using mgaapplet after an upgrade install is the weak link
in the chain.
And certainly urpmi is not a convenient tool at this point.  (Although I
use it a lot at other times.)

Note also that with upgrade install, even firmware that is missing from
the release (and not only the DVD) remains installed.  So there are
cases where an upgrade install necessarily produces a better functioning
system.

So in sum, in my view, removing upgrade install for DVDs would be an
important regression.
But maybe we should suggest rebooting and using rpmdrake after such an
install.

Regards :)

--
André