[Mageia-dev] What is Mageia's policy reagarding filesize display? (units/base 2 vs base 10)

Oliver Burger oliver.bgr at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 26 18:13:04 CEST 2012

At the moment we have
the bash showing values in base 2 with the unit K,
dolphin showing them in base 2 with the unit KiB,
pcmanfm showing them in base 2 with the unit KB.

So patching nautilus to use base 2 woul make for a more common behaviour
of the distro, but it will create work for our GNOME maintainer since he
would have to maintain that patch for every future version.
And it could break any other thing in GNOME since GNOME apps are quite
interweaved with one another and you never know, what app uses nautilus
in parts for what.

So personally I would prefer not to patch such a minor flaw, especially
not knowing when other upstream projects will choose to go to base 10 as
well.

Oliver

--
Oliver Burger aka obgr_seneca