[Mageia-dev] What is Mageia's policy reagarding filesize display? (units/base 2 vs base 10)

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Tue Jun 26 22:36:09 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 04:18:56PM +0200, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Olav Vitters <olav at vitters.nl> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 02:57:16PM +0200, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
> >> Apparently this did originate from ubuntu with their unit policy
> >> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnitsPolicy which is rather flawed in my
> >> opinion.
> >
> > FWIW, I'm not interested in making such changes. I prefer base 2, but
> > don't see the point of making glib/gtk+ behave differently across
> > distributions.
>
> It is not making glib/gtk behave differently, it is just requesting
> differently processed string from glib.

glib/gtk+/nautilus/transmission (it shows me base 10)

Note that Windows is inconsistent. It sometimes shows base 10, sometimes
base 2. Furthermore, the only reason they left it as base 2 was because
other OSes did (was once in a MSDN blog). Suggesting Windows as
comparison is pretty arbitrary.

In any case, my main point is that I don't see why development should be
done within a distribution. E.g. you're advocating changing this, but
this is basically repeating a discussion that has been held upstream
various times.

--
Regards,
Olav

PS: Above list of programs is incomplete; there are more which show base
10.