[Mageia-dev] Idea to fix "Way too many languages to choose from for spell checking in FF and TB" mga#6125

Guillaume Rousse guillomovitch at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 10:34:51 CEST 2012

Le 27/06/2012 08:16, Marja van Waes a écrit :
> On 27/06/2012 01:38, n54 at gmx.com wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I have got an idea to fix this bug with a new drak tool (DrakSpell?). It
>> would be an assistant with a list of all available languages with all
>> their variants to select and install. And the trick: it will install a
>> package (like hunspell-en) and remove (rm -f) the unselected dicts
>> (en_CA, en_GB ...).
>>
>> This seems to be against rules.. but would be a solution. And this seems
>> to be much better than producing (and maintaining!) 1000 packages with
>> single dicts.
>>
>> What do you think?
Directly removing file on the system installed by rpm will break rpm
assumption than its DB content should match actual filesystem.

If there is really an issue with multiple packages with single-file
content (this is not the only example in the distribution), I don't see
any actual issue merging them into a single package, and installing akk
files at once. And if you really want to reduce disk space usage, you'd
better use builtin exclusion of locale-specific files: just tag your
files with appropriate %lang macro in the package.
--
Never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never
stay awake when you can sleep